Why the GIPS Standards Matter
The Global Investment Performance Standards (GIPS®) are voluntary, ethical standards for calculating and presenting investment performance based on the principles of fair representation and full disclosure.
Investment performance is a fundamental part of all investing, and it is relevant to every investment and to every investor. It is important for the evaluation of progress against objectives, the selection of managers, and the calculation of incentives. Investment firms and asset owners that adopt the GIPS standards display their commitment to ethics and transparency and instil investor confidence.
Just do it. When we started this, I believed the end goal would be worth it, but we didn’t realize how valuable the process would be in helping us transform. The results have gone far beyond our expectations.
What do Firms Gain by Complying with the GIPS Standards?
- Increased investor confidence
- Robust policies and procedures
- Ability to compete fairly on a global basis
What Do Investors Want?
Firms that comply with the GIPS standards adhere to requirements for not only return calculations but also for fair and complete disclosures about the product that is being marketed.
Investors can be confident that the returns are calculated and presented on a consistent basis and are objectively comparable with those reported by other firms claiming compliance with the GIPS standards.
Investors can have a high degree of confidence that the information shown in a GIPS Report accurately reflects the results of the firm’s past investment decisions.
Want to Learn More?
Visit the GIPS standards website to find more information about the GIPS standards, including:
- GIPS standards tailored for different users.
- GIPS Standards Handbooks, which include detailed explanations for applying the GIPS standards. The GIPS Standards Q&A database contains questions and answers (Q&As) on various searchable topics.
- Tools and resources for implementing and complying with the GIPS standards.
- News and event related to the GIPS standards. Subscribe to the monthly GIPS Standards Newsletter to stay informed.
17-18 October 2023 — 27th Annual GIPS Standards Conference
Join us at the 27th Annual GIPS® Standards Conference in Chicago!
This is the must-attend event for performance and compliance professionals. Industry and regulatory experts will discuss the latest trends and challenges in investment performance. This year’s conference will feature sessions on OCIO providers, the SEC Marketing Rule and Private Funds proposal, and outsourcing considerations.